Haringey Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Haringey's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Bruce Castle Park
Five newly resurfaced courts in beautiful parkland, with plans for a new café, operated by Robby Sukhdeo and the Pavilion Cafe team. These are the home courts of the league - and this league is designed to offer adult players at Bruce Castle an opportunity to play more friendly, competitive tennis.
Travel - Bus 149, 259, 279, 318, 349, W3; Train White Hart Lane, Bruce Grove.
Travel - Bus 67, 341; Tube: Seven Sisters
Free to use.
Travel - Bus 67, 230, 341, W4; Tube Turnpike Lane
Free to use.
Seven excellent courts (plus two mini courts).
Travel info - Bus 29, 141, 210, 253, 254, 259, 279, 341, W3, W5, W7; Tube Finsbury Park, Manor House; Train Finsbury Park.
Down Lane Recreation Ground
Travel - Bus 41, 123, 149, 243, 259, 279, 318, 341, 349, 476, W4; Tube Tottenham Hale; Train Bruce Grove, Tottenham Hale
Free to use.
These are the home courts of the Pavilion Tennis league. The Pavilion is a very friendly tennis centre operating on public courts which means it is genuinely accessible and open to all. As well as great, recently refurbished tennis courts, the centre has an excellent cafe and offers numerous other sporting and social facilities. The centre is run by Robby Sukhdeo (right) and has been awarded Beacon status by the Tennis Foundation.
Travel - Bus 102, 184, 299, Tube Bounds Green Wood Green, Train Alexandra Palace
Open 9am - 9pm. Check with venue for use of floodlights
£6.00 (£5 card holders). Floodlights £11 (£10). The annual booking card offers online courts bookings (7 days in advance) and costs £50.
Free to use.
White Hart Lane Recreation Ground
Four floodlit courts.
Travel - Bus W3, W4; Tube: Wood Green; Trian White Hart Lane.
Mon - Fri: 10am-10pm; weekends: 9am-5pm
£2/hour per person.
Singles Round 32 | Thursday 30 June to Wednesday 24 August 2016 (Mid-point: Wednesday 27 July 2016)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Ivan Pondev 9.1 [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Charlie Clinton 8.2 [W1, L4] 5 includes two bonus points
- Joe Chacholiades 9.1 [W2] 4
- Philip Rudling [W1] 2
- Moby Longinotto 7.2 [W1, L1] 2 withdrawn
- Emil Valeriev [W1] 2
- Oliver Klein [W1, L1] 2
- Luca Pusceddu [L4] 2 includes two bonus points
- "A decent game at new river Luca started well but lost some his flow in the first set and early second. Came back stronger late on and some tennis played with Phil using lobbing to effect, Cheers for game Luca" -- Philip
- "Gracie lucca" -- Moby
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- Samuel Gruen 9.2 [W5] 12 includes two bonus points
- Haiko Ballieux 10.2 [W3, L1] 8 includes two bonus points
- Stuart Younger 9.1 [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- Max Olds 8.2 [W1, L1] 3
- Dom Graham [L4] 3 includes two bonus points
- Oliver Gossage 9.1 [L1]
- David Kong [L1]
- "All I can say is that the new guy in town is good... Thought we'd never finish! Thanks for a great game David!" -- Haiko
- "After turning up about 20 minutes late having got totally lost on the way to Springfield Park, it was probably bad form to then sneak the first set on a tie break. Both sets in the end were really close and pretty exhausting in the full sunshine with no breeze, and really could have gone either way. Really enjoyed the game though, cheers." -- Stuart
- "Brilliant game, cheers from the crowd, monster rallies, yelling on the court and lot of good banter. Thanks for the game Max, really enjoyed it." -- Samuel
- "A match of who made the least unforced errors... Add to that a bit of side wind and unexpected sunshine and you have the ingredients of great match :)" -- Haiko
- "The wind was our greatest opponent... thanks for the game Dom." -- Samuel
- "Returned to tennis after some years, playing Sam (a technically gifted player). We played at Tufnell Park Playing Fields, which has 2 quite decent (flat) courts." -- Haiko
- "A nasty serve that doesn't bounce and a nice touch on dropshots was what i had to wrestle with. In the end, the Djokovic outfit helped, as well as the shoulder straps. Thanks for the game Oli!" -- Samuel
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Norman Freshney 8.2 [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Chris Ward 8.2 [W2, L1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Peter Willis 10.2 [W1, L2] 4 includes two bonus points
- Edward Barrett 10.1 [W1, L2] 4 includes two bonus points
- Ana Carrasco Frutos 10.2 [L3] 3 includes two bonus points
- Alex Pepe 10.1
- Loren Nicholson 10.2
- "A fun match with many close games including quite possibly the longest rally I've ever had in a tennis match. It all left us gasping for our water bottles and wondering how the professionals cope in the heat for 4+ hrs" -- Norman
- "A close second set with some great serves and drop shots from Ed - plus several lengthy rallies during which we were glad that the temperature had dropped from recent days. I look forward to our next match." -- Norman
- "A nice game on a very warm day. Lots of drop shots, volleys and lobs - moving forwards and backwards!" -- Peter
- "Decent ground strokes, which had gone rather AWOL last match, thankfully returned - and just as well as Peter's game got stronger the longer the match went on and I would not have welcomed a third set on a humid evening. An enjoyable contest." -- Chris
- "A fun and close match in a sunny Finsbury Park. Plenty of long rallies that had us scuttling around the court in all directions. Thanks for the game, Peter. " -- Norman
- "An enjoyable match and a very close first set, losing count of the number of deuces we had. Nevertheless, we both have some way to go to match the tennis prowess of the ~14 year-olds who were playing on the adjacent court." -- Norman
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- Alex Gibson 8.2 [W2, L1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Oliver Davey [W2] 4
- Zac Sargusingh 9.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Jay Lalljee 9.2 [L1]
- Kevin Anderson 9.2 [L1]
- Kevin Hall 9.2 [L1]
- "Great match - Jay has an awesome first serve and hit a few aces but not enough went in so too many forced errors cost him the match in the end but played some great points and was competitive so enjoyed playing him. " -- Alex
SINGLES | GROUP 5
- David Beales 10.2 [W3] 6
- Othmane Islah [W2, L3] 6 includes two bonus points
- William Brennan [W2] 4
- Michael Ross 8.2 [L3] 3 includes two bonus points
- Kyneil Grant [W1] 2
- James Lidgett 10.2 [L2]
- "It was quite the match- lots of tie breaks. It was closer than the score line would have you believe. " -- William
SINGLES | GROUP 6
- Nick Shave [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Lucy Shakespeare 10.2 [W1, L2] 4 includes two bonus points
- Joanne Bronte 9.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Samantha Patrick [L2] 1
- Claire Frost 10.2
- David Greaves 9.2
- "A thoroughly good match. Really enjoyed playing Samantha. Certainly had to up my game!" -- Lucy
SINGLES | GROUP 7
- Sarah Long [W2] 4
- Andrew Inglis [W1] 2
- Maria Lynch 10.2 [L1]
- Hannah Lumb [L2]
- Ramon Cadusch 10.2 withdrawn
- Tom Lewis
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Haringey archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Haringey.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)