Haringey Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Haringey's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Bruce Castle Park
Five newly resurfaced courts in beautiful parkland, with plans for a new café, operated by Robby Sukhdeo and the Pavilion Cafe team. These are the home courts of the league - and this league is designed to offer adult players at Bruce Castle an opportunity to play more friendly, competitive tennis.
Travel - Bus 149, 259, 279, 318, 349, W3; Train White Hart Lane, Bruce Grove.
Travel - Bus 67, 341; Tube: Seven Sisters
Free to use.
Travel - Bus 67, 230, 341, W4; Tube Turnpike Lane
Free to use.
Seven excellent courts (plus two mini courts).
Travel info - Bus 29, 141, 210, 253, 254, 259, 279, 341, W3, W5, W7; Tube Finsbury Park, Manor House; Train Finsbury Park.
Down Lane Recreation Ground
Travel - Bus 41, 123, 149, 243, 259, 279, 318, 341, 349, 476, W4; Tube Tottenham Hale; Train Bruce Grove, Tottenham Hale
Free to use.
These are the home courts of the Pavilion Tennis league. The Pavilion is a very friendly tennis centre operating on public courts which means it is genuinely accessible and open to all. As well as great, recently refurbished tennis courts, the centre has an excellent cafe and offers numerous other sporting and social facilities. The centre is run by Robby Sukhdeo (right) and has been awarded Beacon status by the Tennis Foundation.
Travel - Bus 102, 184, 299, Tube Bounds Green Wood Green, Train Alexandra Palace
Open 9am - 9pm. Check with venue for use of floodlights
£6.00 (£5 card holders). Floodlights £11 (£10). The annual booking card offers online courts bookings (7 days in advance) and costs £50.
Free to use.
White Hart Lane Recreation Ground
Four floodlit courts.
Travel - Bus W3, W4; Tube: Wood Green; Trian White Hart Lane.
Mon - Fri: 10am-10pm; weekends: 9am-5pm
£2/hour per person.
Singles Round 33 | Thursday 15 September to Wednesday 9 November 2016 (Mid-point: Wednesday 12 October 2016)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Emil Tsekov 9.1 [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Steven Campbell-Harris [W1] 2
- Markus Bhonsle 10.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Ewan Kelsall 9.2 [L1, UF1] 1
- Samuel Gruen 9.2 [L2, UF1] 1
- Miles Cohen [L1]
- Charlie Clinton 8.2 [L1]
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- Luca Pusceddu [W2] 4
- Norman Freshney 8.2 [L1] 1
- Patrick Scott [L1]
- Aleksandar Natovski 10.1
- Haiko Ballieux 10.2
- Max Olds 8.2
- Nick Shave 10.2
- Stuart Younger 9.1
- "A great and fun match with lots of ups and downs for both players. Luca may have won but it was definitely Norman who got the best shots of the match, including the tightest quickest cross court pass, and an inch perfect defensive lob. Word of advice to anyone playing on outdoor New River courts past 7ish p.m.: beware the slippery surface. Very dangerous, we both slipped and fell more than once, luckily avoiding the worse." -- Luca
- "Luca and I played a very enjoyable match on the impeccable courts at Clissold Park. I managed to stay with him for 2-2 in both sets but he proved too good for me and pulled away in both.
What we lacked in match fitness we made up for in the ambition of our stroke play. We may have had trouble remembering the score but we never shied away from playing the sort of tennis one should play on a warm Sunday afternoon: hungover but aspiring to glory with every shot." -- Patrick
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Hassan Moazzam [W1] 2
- Oliver Davey [W1] 2
- Chris Ward 8.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Peter Willis 10.1 [L1] 1
- Alex Gibson 8.2 [L1]
- Dom Graham
- Edward Barrett 10.1
- Tom Gatzen 9.1
- "I quickly found myself 0-5 down as Peter made an impressive start and I struggled to find any kind of form. As I started to claw my way back, Peter lunged for a dropshot, winning the point but unfortunately at the expense of a leg muscle problem. He valiantly carried on for a bit before retiring in the opening game of the third. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery." -- Chris
- "Always a pleasure playing Alex, great match with some really close games." -- Oliver
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- Atanas Barakov 10.2 [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Brett Galloway 8.2 [W1, L2] 4 includes two bonus points
- Kyneil Grant 10.2 [W1] 2
- Tom Lewis [L1] 1
- William Brennan [L1]
- Jay Lalljee 9.2 [L2]
- Ivaylo Nikolov
- Joe Sandler Clarke
- "Great match!" -- Atanas
- "Great match with lots of long rallies" -- Atanas
- "Really nice match with lots of long games and rallies. It was a lot closer than the score suggests." -- Atanas
- "Great match and it would've been better if it wasn't so windy" -- Atanas
SINGLES | GROUP 5
- Ashley Marshall 10.2 [W1, L1] 3
- David Owen 9.2 [W1] 2
- Othmane Islah 10.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Susan Paterson 9.2 [L1] 1
- Andrei Todoran 10.2
- Claire Frost 10.2
- David Beales 10.1
- Michael Ross 8.2
- "A closely-fought match on a beautiful autumn day. Othmane has a great slice serve, and a very sneaky dropshot. I was lucky to be able to retrieve just enough balls to get the win." -- David
- "Very close and pleasant match. The wind has been a fierce opponent to both of us. " -- Othmane
SINGLES | GROUP 6
- Fabio Monteforte 10.1 [W1] 2
- Jakub Przeperski 10.2 [W1] 2
- Ruesharn Bryan 9.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Sarah Long [L1]
- Holly Thompson [L1]
- Hannah Lumb
- Rebecca Sewali
- "Very enjoyable match with lots of good long rallies. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Good luck in your future matches Sarah! " -- Jakub
- "Nice match! Best point to Rue with a clinical lob." -- Fabio
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Haringey archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Haringey.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)