Glasgow Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Glasgow's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Scotstoun Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a Glasgow Club member (see website for details).
Mon - Wed: 7am - 9.45pm
Sat: 9am - 5pm
Indoors £17.90 (There is a ‘walk on rate’; if you arrive 30 minutes before the hour you can get a court for £10.90)
There is a 10% discount for Glasgow Club members on full price courts (discludes walk on rate).
Gorbals Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a member (see site information).
Monday-Friday: 9am - 9pm
Saturday: 9am - 4pm
Peak (Monday-Friday 4pm onwards and weekends 9am-1pm) £17.90
Offpeak: (Monday-Friday 9am-4pm and weekends 2pm onwards) £10
Leisure card members get 10% off peak time courts.
Following a £350,000 upgrade four brand new, floodlit courts were opened in April, 2013.
Mon - Wed: 10am-9pm; Weekends 9am-6pm
Kelvingrove Park Tennis
Six brand new floodlit courts in the city centre. The centre is currently undergoing a major refurbishment.
Currently free to use.
Four brand new floodlit courts.
Mon-Wed 10am-9pm; Thurs-Sun 9am-6pm
Free to use.
Five floodlit courts. The Queens Park Community Tennis Club offer coaching sessions for all ages in the park.
Mon-Fri 11am-9pm; Sat 9.30am-7pm; Sun 12noon-9pm
Singles Round 27 | Thursday 16 June to Wednesday 10 August 2016 (Mid-point: Wednesday 13 July 2016)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Pauline Gilbert [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Stephen Reynolds 8.2 [W3, L2] 8 includes two bonus points
- Jack Edward 9.2 [W3, L2] 8 includes two bonus points
- Stewart Campbell 9.1 [W1, L4] 5 includes two bonus points
- Artur Matuszewski 10.2 [W2] 4
- Neil Dickson 9.2 [W1, L4] 4 includes two bonus points
- Erin O'kane [L3] 3 includes two bonus points
- Brian Rainey 8.2 [W1] 2 withdrawn
- "An intense match with plenty of good rallies. A very good comeback from Jack in the 2nd set from being 2-5 down. Well played Jack and good luck for the rest of your games." -- Stephen
- "I had fun playing Neil again; the scoreline does not show the length of the games, and I had a hard time hitting it passed Neil often. Luck was certainly on my side tonight as I had my fair share of netcords... sorry about that Neil. Good luck with the rest of your matches." -- Jack
- "Good match between me and Erin. Having played each other multiple times before, we knew what to expect from each other so the match had its fair share of decent rallies. Erin's ferocious net play had me on my toes constantly, but I eventually managed to find a way through her solid volleys and smashes. Good game Erin, good luck with your other matches." -- Jack
- "Good match with Stewart in blustery conditions at Kelvingrove. I got lucky with a few net cords and the match was played in good spirit. " -- Neil
- "Good game under some pretty windy conditions. Stewart fought well, good luck for the rest of the league." -- Pauline
- "A good match with Neil payed on a glorious June morning at Kelvingrove. Lots of good play and plenty of lung busting rallies. Well played Neil after such a long lay-off." -- Stephen
- "Windy conditions caused a lot of shambolic points, nonetheless, there were some very well played points and long rallies between the two of us. All of the sets were very close, including the third where I was lucky to claim the important points. Thanks for the game, good luck with your other matches Stewart." -- Jack
- "A good match with Stewart which produced some pulsating rallies. Thanks for the game Stewart and best of luck for your remaining matches." -- Stephen
- "Enjoyable match but don't think either of us played our best. All the best with the remaining matches Stephen." -- Brian
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- James Foley 8.2 [W5, L1] 13 includes two bonus points
- Andy Rhattigan 9.2 [W2, L4] 9 includes two bonus points
- Kieran Docherty 10.1 [W3, L3] 9 includes two bonus points
- Alex Benetatos 10.1 [W3, L2] 8 includes two bonus points
- David Gerber [W2, L1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Stuart Trotter 9.1 [W2, L2] 5
- Sachin Shinde 10.1 [W2, L2] 5
- Blair Edward 9.1 [W1, L5] 5 includes two bonus points
- "A great Match! Very Exhaustive! Scotstoun needs some cooling and ventilation...I am lucky to grab a win in the third set as it could have gone either way. Andy is such a great returner of the ball and makes very few unforced errors. Lots of service breaks in second and third set by both of us. Game lasted for more than two hours, we had to rush a bit to finish our third set after 3-3 as we were told we had few minutes before they close. I think Andy gifted me last two games after 4-4. Thanks Andy for letting me try your racket! Look forward to play with you again. Thanks!" -- Sachin
- "A great match played in slight rain. Kieran had me running all over the court but I just squeezed the second set." -- Stuart
- "Matches against Blair are always played in good spirits and this was no exception. Blair gifted the 1st tse to me as his serve deserted him but pulled it together to win the 2nd set and push me all the way in the 3rd. See you on court again soon Blair. :-) " -- Alex
- "This was an incredibly tough almost 2 hour match in the indoor heat of Scotstoun. Could literally have gone either way. Andy's speed and mobility around the court were exceptional. Some of the shots he got back and points won from losing positions during play were increbible. He hit his fair share of winners too. Andy has a deceptive forehand and a confounding 'cricket bat' style backhand...but it works! Radox bath for me! " -- James
- "A good match played in a positive way. Both of made a lot of unforced errors." -- Stuart
- "Nearly blew a 5-1 lead in first set after Alex raised his level considerably , so fortunate to hang on for 7-5 ! Second set also close though perhaps Alex let his level drop a little giving me an edge. Overall a good match with some nice tennis at times from both of us! Revenge for my defeat to Alex a few months back ...look forward to our next one !!" -- Kieran
- "Very windy match today but we both still played well, very even match but I got a bit lucky in the third set which changed the momentum back in my favour. Will be good to play Sachin again on a calmer day !!" -- Kieran
- "Inspired by Andy Murray's stunning performance on Sunday Andy R and I locked horns once again in a breathtaking 2 and a half hour contest with the quality of play quite simply unbelievable..... Isn't that right Andy? ;)" -- Blair
- "A windswept match in the first glimpses of summer sun! This could easily have gone eeither way. Thanks for the game Andy." -- David
- "I'm delighted to get the win against such a solid opponent. Best of luck in your other matches Sachin, I look forward to our rematch." -- Alex
- "A good spirited match with Blair resulting in a much needed victory for me in 2 close sets ! By his own admission Blair didn't serve well which probably was the difference in the end ! Thanks for hosting me at Newlands on the much needed indoor court !" -- Kieran
- "The score most definitely did not reflect the closeness of the play. Loads of deuce games...back and forth. It was sweltering in the indoors of Scotstoun and I think we both struggled a bit with this...especially early on a Sunday morning after alcohol on a Saturday! Well played David." -- James
- "A really close match which could have gone either way. Stuart's array of deft backhand drop shots at acute angles were a real challenge to anticipate and get to. I was lucky to edge the second set tie break as Stuart was getting stronger as the match wore on. Till the next time Stuart! Well played. " -- James
- "Excellent match played in between the occasional downpours brought on by the summer weather. This was a very even contest and both of us had opportunities to win the match. Many thanks for the game James, I look forward to the rematch." -- Alex
- "Enjoyable match at Newlands Indoors club. Thanks Blair!" -- Sachin
- " A tough match against Kieran. A lot closer than the score might suggest. Thanks for hosting Kieran. " -- James
- "A game of two halves (even though it was 3 sets!).
Kieran took the first set, and was playing well.
After that first set, things changed, Kierans form dipped, to my obvious advantage.
Enjoyed the extra (4th) set we played, much better tennis without the pressure of league points at stake!
This was my first time at Dowanhill, nice courts! Thanks for the game Kieran" -- Andy
- "Another really close run encounter with Blair. On a 'sticky' surface he was getting everything back and putting terrific top-spin on high, deep lob-like shots. With new balls this made returning awkward and difficult. First set could literally have gone either way and I was lucky to edge it as Blair had raced into an early and clear lead. Second set I guess I hit the ball a bit more cleanly and Blair may have dipped just a tad. Another thoroughly enjoyable match though played in good spirits throughout. Thanks Blair." -- James
- "Great workout..., a lot of hard graft, (my body certainly ached the next day)... 1st set was closer than the score suggests, second set couldve went either way, i was very relieved to edge it. Thanks for the game Alex" -- Andy
- "Enjoyable match in testing conditions. Was closer than reflected in the scoreline." -- David
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- David Anderson [W4] 8
- Kevin Kelly 10.1 [W2, L1, UF1] 5
- Matt Maycock 9.1 [W2, L1] 4
- Ivan Rolfe 9.2 [W1, L3] 4 includes two bonus points
- Graham Wilson 9.1 [W1, UF1] 3
- Frank Reid 9.2 [L5] 1
- Neil Stephen 9.2
- "Thanks to Frank for coming to my club. Always a pleasure to see him. Not playing his best at the moment by his own admission but still some great inside out forehands and terrific passing shots. We had a few outstanding rallies but overall my low error count made it tough for Frank to close out games. Worryingly, both games I lost were on my serve but Frank played those particular games well so can't grumble!" -- Graham
- "2 hours 2 sets. Match delicately poised for the final set. Glad Kevin had to go to work to be honest! He had the momentum." -- Graham
- "Tough match, Kevin hit some big serves, balls travelling fast in the heat. Cheers for the game Kevin, and good luck for the remaining matches." -- David
- "Enjoyed playing on the new surface at Queens Park. Cheers for the game Matt." -- David
- "Another roller coaster match with Frank and the two hours indoors really took it out of me, hopefully we can finish the match outdoors. First set was a good effort to come back from 4-1 down by Frank and in second set I found my serve at the right time to just sneak it. Really enjoyed the game and look forward to finishing the match" -- Kevin
- "Good enjoyable game, with a close second set... Thanks Frank. Hope to play again soon. " -- Ivan
- "Excellent match, good tussle in the 2nd set." -- David
- "Good match played in good spirits." -- David
- "Good to see Ivan back playing again. I served well in the first set but Ivan came back really strongly in the second and was unlucky not to win that set but I just edged it. Cheers for the game Ivan and good luck with your other matches. " -- Kevin
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- Rodrigo Mata [W5] 12 includes two bonus points
- Balazs Repasi 9.2 [W4, L1] 10 includes two bonus points
- Robert Graham 9.2 [W3, L1] 8 includes two bonus points
- Andrew Rose 9.2 [W2, L3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Derek Morgan [W2, L3, UF1] 8 includes two bonus points
- Radoslaw Penar 10.2 [W1, L3, UF1] 5 includes two bonus points
- Sam Currie 10.2 [L6] 2 includes two bonus points
- "Hard fought match in blustery conditions, we both struggled with our serve at times. Some great rallies. I managed to get the win this time but I'm sure it could have easily been the other way on a different day." -- Robert
- "It was very wet in the beginning and at the end. One of my toughest first set.
Radoslaw is a pretty good player.
Good luck for his last game." -- Balazs
- "Quite a match we have had. Definitely my longest ever 2 set match which lasted for almost 2,5 hours with a lot of deuce games and one lasting for 15-20min.
I came back from 1:4 in the first set and won 4 straight games and had a set point at 5:4 but Balazs served well at important points and we ended up with a tiebreak which was won by Balazs. I lost a bit concentration in the beginning of the second set then won a couple of games, but it was too late. I managed to save some match points, an epic one with probably over 30 shots but Balazs won it in the end. Thanks for a great match Balazs" --
- "Andrew is a very good player, i ve got a bit of luck to win the match.
Good luck for him on his remaning games." -- Balazs
- "I took an early lead in the first set, going four zero up, Sam made a comeback to four two and we had a deuce game where we both had opportunities to win had Sam won that game the first set may have been different but I managed to see it out. Second set was close, took a two zero lead but Sam fought back again and levelled at two each both were finding it difficult to win our own service games. Managed to hold my own serve to take it to five three and in worsening weather conditions saw out the second set. Thanks for the game Sam, good luck in your other matches." -- Robert
- "Enjoyable game, Derek much more consistent with his shots and I was always playing catch-up. Good match played in good spirit." -- Sam
- "match to be completed. Rain stopped play" -- Derek
- "Hardest match of the group for me so far. I came back in the second set as I was down 2 games and I managed to pull it off.
Thanks Balazs for the hard and brilliant game." -- Rodrigo
- "It was quite an enjoyable game. Score does not really reflect how competitive the game was and both players really sweated a lot." -- Rodrigo
SINGLES | GROUP 5
- Ross Burnside [W5] 12 includes two bonus points
- Gary Devine [W5, L1] 12 includes two bonus points
- Allan Sampson 10.1 [W2] 4
- Mick Mooney 10.2 [W1, L3] 4 includes two bonus points
- Alagappan Arunachalam 10.1 [L3] 2
- Brian Polding-Clyde 10.1 [L3] 2 includes two bonus points
- Bryan Mawer [L1] 1
- Gavin Lundholm 9.2 [L2]
- "Great match played in great spirit . Bryan dominated the opening set then seemed to tire due to the heat indoors at scotstoun,i think with match sharpness it would have been a different result . All the best bryan" -- Gary
- "Really enjoyable match with lots of great rallies and long games. Good to meet Gavin. All the best in remaining matches Gavin. " -- Ross
- "A good close match against Arvind on a really hot day. Good luck in the rest of your games Arvind" -- Mick
- "The match was played in great spirit Gavin's a great guy . It was a lot closer than the scoreline would suggest, I genuinely think Gavin will have some good results with his style of play . All the best Gavin" -- Gary
- "Home advantage was key in the first set, as it took Brian a while to get going. The second set however was a cracker and I was very relieved to get over the line. Thanks, Brian, for a really enjoyable match. Allan." -- Allan
- "Great match. Arvind made a great effort in the second set to come back . All the best for the rest of your matches
Gary" -- Gary
- "Really enjoyable match and much closer than the score suggests. Great to meet Brian and played in a good spirit. Good luck in your remaining matches Brian." -- Ross
- "Great match which could have gone either way. Gary chased down every ball. Best of luck in remaining matches Gary, was nice to meet you. " -- Ross
- "Another great match played in great spirit closer than the score would suggest, Mick's a great guy , enjoyed the tussle, it was good fun." -- Gary
- "Enjoyable match that ebbed and flowed largely depending on who was getting their first serve in. Was great to meet Arvind. Best of luck in your remaining matches Arvind! " -- Ross
- "Great match, thoroughly enjoyed it , great atmosphere, Brian's a great guy which made my first experience in the league really pleasant . BRILLIANT " -- Gary
- "Really enjoyed match, played in good spirit and nice to meet Mick. 2nd set was a cracker. " -- Ross
SINGLES | GROUP 6
- Daniele Marini 10.2 [W5] 12 includes two bonus points
- Cameron Sim [W4, L1] 10 includes two bonus points
- Alan Campbell 10.2 [W2, L4] 7 includes two bonus points
- Andrew Buchan [W2, L2] 6 includes two bonus points
- Robert Kerr [W1, L5] 5 includes two bonus points
- Alastair Paul [W2] 4 withdrawn
- Alice Clarke 10.2 [W1, L1] 3
- Gordon Craig 10.2 [L4] 2 includes two bonus points
- "A tough match against Alice, with the match swaying one way, then the other. There were a few good rallies (which I think Alice won most of), and some good winners hit from both sides. Well played Alice, thanks for the game." -- Alan
- "Great match with Andy! The final score does not reflect match's value. His powerful tennis will improve sensibly in a short amount of time. Thanks to Andy, we had a great match on great court (Hamilton), due to my mistake during QPark reservation. Hoping to play with him soon!" -- Daniele
- "Nice evening for a match a Knightswood! Rain came on but that never stopped us playing! I thought I had a pretty poor match and managed to come through even though Gordon had some good forehand and back hand shots " -- Cameron
- "Thoroughly enjoyed our match!! Weather was perfect and we both played pretty well apart from me in the second set. I hope to play with you again soon and wish you the best in your remaining matches " -- Cameron
- "Good close games!!! Some nice shots from Andy with a lot of power!!! Thanks for coming out to my tennis club! Good luck in the rest of your games!" -- Cameron
- "A good match with Gordon in nice conditions at Queen's park. Some nice rallies and a pleasure to play with." -- Robert
- "Thanks for the game Robert! Both us played well and both and some nice shots especially some lob shots from Robert. All the games were really close and most of them going to deuce and some good rallies too. Good luck in the rest of your games in the league Robert." -- Cameron
- "A competitive match against Robert, where control of the match switched from player to player. Challenged with windy conditions, and slippy underfoot, we still managed to play some tennis, resulting in a few long rallies, and good winning shots. Well played Robert." -- Alan
- "Very tough match with lots of long rallies and incredible shots. Was a lot of fun!" -- Alice
SINGLES | GROUP 7
- Gerard Boyle [W5] 12 includes two bonus points
- Robert Ferguson [W3, L1] 8 includes two bonus points
- Andrew Cameron [W1, L4] 4 includes two bonus points
- Valentina Bonetti [W1, L2] 3
- Peter Rough [W1, L1] 2
- Karen Mackay [L3] 2 includes two bonus points
- Rosi O'Neill 10.2 withdrawn
- "Excellent match which went one way then the other. Took full 2 hours to complete and had both players leaving everything on court. Thanks Valentina for a thrilling contest. " -- Robert
- "Thanks for the game Valentina, although the score doe'nt suggest it, there were lots of good rallies and one or two deuce games! Thoroughly enjoyed our match and i'm sure you'll do well going forwards. ..Valentina, Buona fortuna per il resto dei tuoi abbinamenti .. Gerry" -- Gerard
- "Great match and lovely weather! Andrew played much better shots than me but mental game preparation paid off. Good rallies and great fun :)" -- Valentina
- "After me going 5-2 up in the first set, Valentina did an amazing job turning it around and went on a 7 ish game winning streak. Lots of long rallies and a really fun match to play! Thanks" -- Andrew
- "Close match. Lots of breaks of serve. Both players moved well. Competitive contest." -- Robert
- "Score does'nt reflect effort put in and the closeness of a lot of the games.
You made me feel every inch my age Andrew!
A thoroughly good and hard fought couple of sets.
Good luck with the rest of your games Andrew!" -- Gerard
- "A lot of games closer than the score suggests, thanks for the match Karen" -- Andrew
- "Games were tight throughout. Plenty of good points and big hits from both players. Bit windy which affected both serves but overall a competitive match which the score doesn't reflect. " -- Robert
- "Thanks for the game Karen,Good luck with your remaining matches.. Gerry" -- Gerard
- "Very close games and some good rallies. Thanks for the match Andrew." -- Peter
- "A hard fought first set with the first game of the set seemingly lasting about half an hour!.Managed to win set with marginally fewer points dropped than Peter in addition to the swirling wind ( and possible techno beats from the stands not helping! 2nd set I managed to win the main points as some of the games were relatively close and did'nt reflect effort by both of us. Peter, all the best for the rest of the league, enjoyed our match. Gerry.
" -- Gerard
- "Enjoyed my first match in the Glasgow tennis league.
Rob played well and has a good back hand and a deceivingly good serve when it gets going.
We were a bit tentative/ nerves at times and i'm sure we'll both improve as the league progresses.
Good luck with the rest of your matches Rob!" -- Gerard
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Glasgow archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Glasgow.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)