Southampton Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Southampton's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Southampton Sports Centre
12 outdoor, floodlit courts. To book ring: 0300 0200 135
Courts cost £7.50 an hour
Every Tuesday evening from 21st April to late summer 2015
Beginners: 6pm-7pm; Improvers: 7pm-8pm Cost £5 per session
Match play-coached sessions: Thurdays 6pm-9pm. £5 per session
League players attending Tuesday sessions who play their league matches on a Thursday evening, they can get almost a third off the court fee, paying just £5.80 instead of £7.50 an hour. Equipment can be hired on Tuesday and Thursdays evenings for free and at other times for a deposit of £10. For more information on all the above, tel 0300 0200 135 or email Zowie.Lindfield@activenation.org.uk
David Lloyd Southampton
11 indoor tennis courts, 7 outdoor tennis courts
St James' Park
2 outdoor courts.
Courts are free but heavily used - and when players are waiting to use the courts etiquette is to give way after 45 minutes to allow all a fair chance to use the courts. For this reason, it is best only to schedule full matches as times when the courts are not being heavily used. The centre will advise.
Portswood Recreation Ground
2 outdoor courts
1 outdoor court.
2 outdoor courts. Courts can be accessed by visiting PARKafe next to the courts.
NoBad tennis club
2 outdoor courts.
Play at the bargain price of £1 for juniors of parish £2 out of parish and adults £2 and £4 respectively. Contact for key is Rosemary Williams 02380733619
Singles Round 14 | Thursday 30 July to Wednesday 23 September 2015 (Mid-point: Wednesday 26 August 2015)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Joel Dobie 9.2 [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Robert Blease 8.2 [W2, L1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Ben Charnley 10.1 [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- Oscar Rodriguez [L3] 2 includes two bonus points
- Matt Beling
- Vitor Barbosa 10.2
- "Good game" -- Robert
- "Good game" --
- "Good game" -- Robert
- "Playing Oscar was a great challenge that was very fun at the same time I don't think the scoreline reflected just how good he is and I'm sure it's going to be closer in the future!!" -- Joel
- "Another very tough match played in the best of spirits with a good friend thoroughly enjoyed it!!" -- Joel
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- Chris Williams [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- David Russ 10.2 [W1, L3] 5 includes two bonus points
- Bram Ganesan [W2] 4
- Hiroo Ohtsuka [W1, L1] 2
- Daniel Woods 10.1 [L1]
- Keagan Barr [L2]
- "score is a bit deceptive as there were some great rally's and close games. Thanks for the knock." -- Bram
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Ross Stewart 10.2 [W3] 6
- Pawel Majewski [W1, L1] 3
- C Vinay Kumar 10.1 [W1, L2] 2
- Elizabeth Kemble 10 [L2]
- Craig Phillips 10.2
- Claire Frampton 9.2
- "Brilliant game of tennis, not sure how I managed to come out of it with a win!" -- Ross
- "Excellent match. Had some really good points. Could have gone either way. All the best." -- C Vinay
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- John Kirk [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Tom Chalkley 10.2 [W3, L2] 8 includes two bonus points
- Biruntha Ponraj 10.2 [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- David Morris [W2] 4
- Jake Tempo 10.2 [W1, L2] 4 includes two bonus points
- Richard Barnes [L4] 2 includes two bonus points
- "Really really good match!!
Both had moments of momentum, some great rallies and shots!
Close 3rd set, could've gone either way!
Both played awesome tennis!" -- Tom
- "very close match. we both had a chance to serve out second set, both failed and ended in a tie breaker. Lucky to have won it to close the match." -- Biruntha
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Southampton archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Southampton
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)