Haringey Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Haringey's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Bruce Castle Park
Five newly resurfaced courts in beautiful parkland, with plans for a new café, operated by Robby Sukhdeo and the Pavilion Cafe team. These are the home courts of the league - and this league is designed to offer adult players at Bruce Castle an opportunity to play more friendly, competitive tennis.
Travel - Bus 149, 259, 279, 318, 349, W3; Train White Hart Lane, Bruce Grove.
Travel - Bus 67, 341; Tube: Seven Sisters
Free to use.
Travel - Bus 67, 230, 341, W4; Tube Turnpike Lane
Free to use.
Seven excellent courts (plus two mini courts).
Travel info - Bus 29, 141, 210, 253, 254, 259, 279, 341, W3, W5, W7; Tube Finsbury Park, Manor House; Train Finsbury Park.
Free to use.
Down Lane Recreation Ground
Travel - Bus 41, 123, 149, 243, 259, 279, 318, 341, 349, 476, W4; Tube Tottenham Hale; Train Bruce Grove, Tottenham Hale
Free to use.
These are the home courts of the Pavilion Tennis league. The Pavilion is a very friendly tennis centre operating on public courts which means it is genuinely accessible and open to all. As well as great, recently refurbished tennis courts, the centre has an excellent cafe and offers numerous other sporting and social facilities. The centre is run by Robby Sukhdeo (right) and has been awarded Beacon status by the Tennis Foundation.
Travel - Bus 102, 184, 299, Tube Bounds Green Wood Green, Train Alexandra Palace
Open 9am - 9pm. Check with venue for use of floodlights
£6.00 (£5 card holders). Floodlights £11 (£10). The annual booking card offers online courts bookings (7 days in advance) and costs £50.
Free to use.
White Hart Lane Recreation Ground
Four floodlit courts.
Travel - Bus W3, W4; Tube: Wood Green; Trian White Hart Lane.
Mon - Fri: 10am-10pm; weekends: 9am-5pm
£2/hour per person.
Singles Round 28 | Thursday 30 July to Wednesday 23 September 2015 (Mid-point: Wednesday 26 August 2015)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Moby Longinotto 10.2 [W4, L2] 12 includes two bonus points
- Tim Rogers 10.2 [W3, L1] 8 includes two bonus points
- Philip Rudling [W2, L1] 7 includes two bonus points
- Stephen Young 9.1 [W1, L1] 2
- Miguel Ramirez 9.1 [L1]
- Oliver Gossage 9.1 [L2]
- Clem Silverman [L2]
- Charlie Clinton 8.2
- "Nice sunny morning at a great tennis club in crouch end. Score wasn't realistic as Stephen was having a bad day. Look forward to a replay. Thanks " -- Moby
- "Thanks for a good game Philip. The score doesn't reflect the work needed to win! Philip is great at keeping the ball in play and making you really win a point by always having to hit just one more ball. Tricky! This game didn't finish until well after closing time! " -- Tim
- "An epic battle of contrasting styles with most games going to deuce. Some lovely drop shots from Miguel. Great stuff thanks" -- Moby
- "Wind and rain threatened this match but we persevered and managed to see it out. Some great aces from Clem in the first set. Cheers" -- Moby
- "Over two days cheers" -- Philip
- "A first game for Clem, who struggled a little in the first set but cam back strongly in second set, played in light rain." -- Philip
- "Thanks Moby. Sorry for the bus marathon to get here - maybe that was the deciding factor!" -- Tim
- "Sunny breezy day on Finsbury park perfect for tennis. Ollie hit some rasping forehand winners. Good match thanks" -- Moby
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- Dimitris Blanos 10.2 [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Pierre Hyde 10.1 [W2, L2, UF1] 7 includes two bonus points
- Chris Ward 8.2 [W2, L1, UF1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Stuart Younger 9.2 [W2, L3] 6 includes two bonus points
- Richard Pettet [W1, L1] 2
- Jay Lalljee 10.1 [L2]
- Anna Jones [L2]
- Loren Nicholson 10.2
- "Good match, many games to deuce and some nice rallies" -- Dimitris
- "Rain stopped play at Chris serving 15-30. To be completed!" -- Pierre
- "A fine match of tennis with some great rallies! Thoroughly enjoyed!" -- Dimitris
- "On a baking hot early morning necessitating possibly the earliest recorded break for suncream (8.20a.m.) in the history of British tennis, this was an enjoyable game between two evenly-matched players. Stuart had prevailed last time, so it was nice to even things up this time round." -- Chris
- "Good match with some long games and many games to Deuce!
Thanks" -- Dimitris
- "Anna's ability to hit magnificent groundstroke winners on both sides took quite some countering, but thankfully my serve and shot selection were enjoying a reasonably good day. A thoroughly enjoyable match." -- Chris
- "Good match, with some fun rallies. Anna started getting back into her game more in the second set and hit some brilliant returns. Think if we'd gone to a third set it would've been even closer." -- Stuart
- "Really enjoyable match. Both fairly attacking players and some big serves and good rallies. The indoor courts at New River were pretty warm, so was sweating buckets by the end." -- Stuart
- "Enjoyable match, thanks!" -- Dimitris
- "Despite the bizarre juxtaposition of all-night revellers one side of the courts and Michael Jackson loudly soundtracking the other we had a great match. Stuart's serve finally kicked in in the second set and he likely would have won a third." -- Pierre
- "Close match with too many breaks of serve for either of our liking." -- Richard
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Oliver Knaut [W5] 12 includes two bonus points
- Brett Galloway 8.2 [W3, L2] 9 includes two bonus points
- Norman Freshney 9.2 [W2, L1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Zac Sargusingh 10.1 [W1, L2] 4 includes two bonus points
- James Francois 10.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Kevin Anderson 9.2 [L3] 2 includes two bonus points
- Jaroslaw Laka 10 [L3]
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- Luther Wainwright 10.2 [W7] 16 includes two bonus points
- Christopher Jeppesen [W3, L2] 8 includes two bonus points
- Kevin Hall 10.1 [W1, L3] 6 includes two bonus points
- Michael Ross 8.2 [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- Max Olds 9.1 [W1, L1] 2
- David Greaves 9.2 [W1, L2] 2
- Eric Langham 10.2 [L1]
- Henry Firth 10.2 [L1]
- Pedro Augusto Teixeira de Freitas 10.2 [L2]
- "The momentum was definitely with David in the second set! General consensus was that things would have got very interesting had we been playing 5 sets..." -- Luther
- "A really close match in the blazing sunshine went to 3 sets and over 3 hours!! No one deserved to lose and well done to both parties for finishing the match in very hot conditions." -- Luther
- "Played in the lovely morning sun at priory park" -- Luther
SINGLES | GROUP 5
- Dawid Dereszewski 9.2 [W3, UF1] 9 includes two bonus points
- Oliver Davey [W2, UF2] 6
- William Brennan [W2, L2] 6 includes two bonus points
- David Owen 10.1 [W2] 4
- Lucio Versaggi 10.2 [W1, L1, UF1] 3
- Keren Amiran [W1, L1] 2 withdrawn
- Maria Lynch 10.2 [L3] 2 includes two bonus points
- Lucy Shakespeare [L4] 2 includes two bonus points
- "Couldn't finish due to light. " -- Oliver
- "Always great to play Lucio. He took the first set easily, punishing me whenever I tried to come to the net, and grinding me down if I stayed back at the baseline. Fortunately for me, I managed to hit some big serves in the second set, and clawed my way back." -- David
- "Some very long rallies in there, really enjoyed it. " -- Oliver
- "Maria and I had a great time and we got a few great rallies in! " -- William
- "Good fun! Thanks Maria " -- Oliver
- "Very good match with many great shots from both sides. I enjoyed the game a lot. Thanks William! " -- Dawid
- "Very close game. We haven't been able to complete, so looking forward for the 3rd set. " -- Dawid
- "Very close game with many nice shots. Keren is a player who doesn't make many mistakes. She also likes to shot the ball in the most inconvenient place for the opponent. I really enjoyed the game. Thank you! " -- Dawid
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Haringey archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Haringey.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)