Haringey Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Haringey's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Bruce Castle Park
Five newly resurfaced courts in beautiful parkland, with plans for a new café, operated by Robby Sukhdeo and the Pavilion Cafe team. These are the home courts of the league - and this league is designed to offer adult players at Bruce Castle an opportunity to play more friendly, competitive tennis.
Travel - Bus 149, 259, 279, 318, 349, W3; Train White Hart Lane, Bruce Grove.
Travel - Bus 67, 341; Tube: Seven Sisters
Free to use.
Travel - Bus 67, 230, 341, W4; Tube Turnpike Lane
Free to use.
Seven excellent courts (plus two mini courts).
Travel info - Bus 29, 141, 210, 253, 254, 259, 279, 341, W3, W5, W7; Tube Finsbury Park, Manor House; Train Finsbury Park.
Free to use.
Down Lane Recreation Ground
Travel - Bus 41, 123, 149, 243, 259, 279, 318, 341, 349, 476, W4; Tube Tottenham Hale; Train Bruce Grove, Tottenham Hale
Free to use.
These are the home courts of the Pavilion Tennis league. The Pavilion is a very friendly tennis centre operating on public courts which means it is genuinely accessible and open to all. As well as great, recently refurbished tennis courts, the centre has an excellent cafe and offers numerous other sporting and social facilities. The centre is run by Robby Sukhdeo (right) and has been awarded Beacon status by the Tennis Foundation.
Travel - Bus 102, 184, 299, Tube Bounds Green Wood Green, Train Alexandra Palace
Open 9am - 9pm. Check with venue for use of floodlights
£6.00 (£5 card holders). Floodlights £11 (£10). The annual booking card offers online courts bookings (7 days in advance) and costs £50.
Free to use.
White Hart Lane Recreation Ground
Four floodlit courts.
Travel - Bus W3, W4; Tube: Wood Green; Trian White Hart Lane.
Mon - Fri: 10am-10pm; weekends: 9am-5pm
£2/hour per person.
Singles Round 30 | Thursday 28 January to Wednesday 23 March 2016 (Mid-point: Wednesday 24 February 2016)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Moby Longinotto 8.1 [W1, L1] 3
- Tim Rogers 10.1 [W1] 2
- Charlie Clinton 8.2 [L1]
- Joe Chacholiades 10.2
- Oliver Klein
- Pawel Kisiel
- Philip Rudling
- "Charlie hit all the best shots in the match I was running around trying to get it back and just hoping for the best. Cheers" -- Moby
- "2 hours 45 minutes of long rallies. Brutal. Cheers Moby" -- Tim
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- Emil Valeriev [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Samuel Gruen 10.1 [W1, L3] 7 includes two bonus points
- Luther Wainwright 9.2 [W1, L3] 6 includes two bonus points
- Chris Ward 8.2 [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- Aleksandar Natovski [W1] 2
- Christopher Jeppesen [W1] 2
- Andrew Greenway 10.2
- Stuart Younger 9.1
- "A brilliantly competitive match with some great rallies! " -- Christopher
- "Samuel's meticulous drop shots initially asked more of me than I was prepared to risk on a frosty court and then, once I had clawed my way back into the match, he started unleashing backhand passing shots which would have graced more distinguished stages than Finsbury Park. However, I did have an edge when it came to consistency, especially on serve, and that was enough to get me home (just). Another great three-setter in this competitive round." -- Chris
- "Luther blames the racket, I thank the net." -- Samuel
- "A game of 2 halves! The first set and a a half was played outdoors (surprisingly mild yet windy!) and the rest played in the bubble. Chris's excellent shot placement had me running around like a maniac for much of proceedings; the key moment being a final breakthrough (after 4 advantage points for myself!) to make it 6-5 in the third set. Thank you for the match Chris and I hope to play you again soon. " -- Luther
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Zac Sargusingh 9.2 [W1] 2
- Norman Freshney 9.1 [L1] 1
- Anna Jones
- Jay Lalljee 10.1
- Jermaine Francis
- Max Olds 9.1
- Michael Ross 8.2
- Paul Connaughton 9.2
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- Tom Burrows [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Amy Smith 10.2 [W2, L1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Joe Stanley-Smith 10.2 [L2]
- Dominic Barnard [L2]
- Claire Frost 10.2
- Glenda Young
- Susan Paterson 10.2
- William Brennan
- "It was such a windy day but we powered through - good match!! " -- Amy
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Haringey archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Haringey.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)