Glasgow Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Glasgow's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Scotstoun Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a Glasgow Club member (see website for details).
Mon - Wed: 7am - 9.45pm
Sat: 9am - 5pm
Indoors £17.90 (There is a ‘walk on rate’; if you arrive 30 minutes before the hour you can get a court for £10.90)
There is a 10% discount for Glasgow Club members on full price courts (discludes walk on rate).
Gorbals Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a member (see site information).
Monday-Friday: 9am - 9pm
Saturday: 9am - 4pm
Peak (Monday-Friday 4pm onwards and weekends 9am-1pm) £17.90
Offpeak: (Monday-Friday 9am-4pm and weekends 2pm onwards) £10
Leisure card members get 10% off peak time courts.
Following a £350,000 upgrade four brand new, floodlit courts were opened in April, 2013.
Mon - Wed: 10am-9pm; Weekends 9am-6pm
Kelvingrove Park Tennis
Six brand new floodlit courts in the city centre. The centre is currently undergoing a major refurbishment.
Currently free to use.
Four brand new floodlit courts.
Mon-Wed 10am-9pm; Thurs-Sun 9am-6pm
Free to use.
Five floodlit courts. The Queens Park Community Tennis Club offer coaching sessions for all ages in the park.
Mon-Fri 11am-9pm; Sat 9.30am-7pm; Sun 12noon-9pm
Singles Round 25 | Thursday 14 January to Wednesday 9 March 2016 (Mid-point: Wednesday 10 February 2016)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Graham Mackenzie 9.1 [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Danny Cameron [W1, L1] 2
- Robert Henson [W1, L1] 2
- David Maher 10 [L1] 1
- James Foley 8.2 [L1] 1
- Suhel Alkesair 9.1 [L1]
- "It was a good match to play in" -- Danny
- "Very tight marathon match. Took a set for David to get into it but after that was very close the whole way. Look forward to getting another game with you in the future!" -- Graham
- "Unfortunately due to a busy day at Gorbals and Scotstoun, all indoor courts were booked out. Some tricky conditions playing outside with a strong wind! Good match with some tight points although the conditions didn't help either of us. Hopefully get a rematch with you Robert at some point. Good luck!" -- Graham
- "Great match with some great rallies! " -- Graham
- "Great Match, Really Enjoyed It!" -- Robert
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- Brian Rainey [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Kieran Docherty 10.2 [W1, L3] 4 includes two bonus points
- Blair Edward 9.1 [W1, L1, UF1] 3
- Andy Rhattigan 10.2 [W1, L1, UF1] 2
- Neil Dickson 10.1 [L2] 2
- Boris Wrabel
- "I definitely benefited from a fair share of mis-hits but an enjoyable game all the same. All the best with your remaining matches Neil. Cheers." -- Brian
- "Epic. 2 hours and counting....hope we get our can of balls for the effort.." -- Blair
- "Some magic moments from Kieran tonight. I was the beneficiary of a fair few errors which makes the scoreline a bit flattering for me. We stayed on for a third which was much closer. Hope to meet you again next round Kieran. " -- Blair
- "A much needed victory for me but by his own admission Neil has not played for some time and was a bit ring rusty...I'm sure he will be better in his remaining games!! So watch out!" -- Kieran
- "Bit of a slug fest at times but a good run around all the same. Thanks for letting me play at your club Blair and all the best with the remaining matches. Cheers." -- Brian
- "Good match with some lengthy rallies. All the best with your remaining matches Andy. Cheers" -- Brian
- "Really enjoyable match in tricky conditions. It was closer than the scoreline suggests with some good rallies throughout. Thanks for letting me play at your club Kieran and all the best with your remaining matches. Hope to play you again soon. Cheers, Brian." -- Brian
- "Hard fought game, certainly much tighter than scoreline suggests. All the best in the next games Kieran" -- Andy
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Jack Edward 10.1 [W5] 12 includes two bonus points
- Kevin Kelly [W2, L1] 7 includes two bonus points
- Neil Stephen 9.2 [W2, L1] 7 includes two bonus points
- Frank Reid 10.1 [L3] 3 includes two bonus points
- Andrew Rose 9.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Jen Watt [L4] 2 includes two bonus points
- Graham Wilson 9.1
- "Despite the scoreline, there were a lot of heated rallies and I managed to clinch the important points. Thanks for the game Jen, good luck with your other matches." -- Jack
- "Another close match. First set could have gone either way. Good luck to Jen in her coming matches." -- Neil
- "Absolute nail-biter of a match! Neil took the first set with some brilliant net play and maintained his level throughout the second. Had to save a match point at 5-4 before inching the second set, and managed to carry the momentum through to the third. Thoroughly enjoyed it; I'm pretty knackered now, haven't had to run about that much in ages. Cheers for the match Neil, all the best with the other matches." -- Jack
- "A close match to the end. Thanks Frank for an enjoyable game." -- Neil
- "Another close game with Frank, only one break of serve in first set which I edged. Second set had a lot of deuce games and could have gone either way. Cheers for the game Frank" -- Kevin
- "Tough match played indoors; I seem to be enjoying this scoreline lately... Started off a little rusty, and Kevin's powerful serve consolidated his one break of my service. Started to find my groundstrokes in the next two sets and clinched some important points to win in three. Along with the powerful serve, Kevin sporadically injected the ball with a lot of pace, making him a tricky and unpredictable opponent. Thanks for the game Kevin, I enjoyed it." -- Jack
- "The match was played in blustering, erratic winds; couple this with a set of new balls and conditions were difficult to get used to. Solid playing from Frank in the first set swept me aside as I had completely lost my groundstrokes, fortunately however, I managed to reassemble my game slightly and accustom to the winds for the last two sets. Well played Frank, thanks for a good match." -- Jack
- "Thanks for the game Andrew, some lovely topspin forehands and serves within your game. Good effort travelling all the way from Falkirk!" -- Jack
- "Really enjoyable game against Jen, neither of us had played for quite a while so first set we were a bit rusty. Very close second set that could have gone either way and I just edged it. Good luck in your remaining games Jen and thanks for the match." -- Kevin
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- Brian Thoirs 9.2 [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- Stuart Trotter 9.2 [W2] 4
- Bryan Mawer [W1] 2
- Michael Spafford 10.1 [W1] 2
- Derek Morgan [L3] 2 includes two bonus points
- Addison Graham 10
- "A good match " -- Stuart
- "Good match played in a good spirit." -- Stuart
- "Excellent venue. Very even game, I just got lucky with some fortuitous bounces. Best wishes to Derek in the rest of the round " -- Bryan
- "Played over two sessions. Another very close matchup that could have gone either way. Was very enjoyable match for me as it needed a lot of running and chasing balls down to win the point." --
- "Very wet and damp conditions. I think score would have been more close if it was dryer under foot." -- Brian
SINGLES | GROUP 5
- Iain Inglis [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Brian Polding-Clyde 10.1 [W2, L1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Cameron Sim [L1]
- Neil Crossan 10.2 [L1]
- Ed Wright 10.1 [L2]
- Gavin Lundholm 9.2
- "We played a sporting match and Ed was very much improved in the second set, throwing down some heavy aces and some neat drop shots, thank you for the match and good luck with the rest of your games." -- Brian
- "We both enjoyed the match, with Cameron hitting some lovely forehands, hope you enjoy the rest of your matches and good luck to you." -- Brian
SINGLES | GROUP 6
- Robert Graham [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Jim Howie 10.2 [W1, L3] 4 includes two bonus points
- Gordon Craig 10.2 [W1, L1, UF1] 3
- Peter Rough [W1] 2
- Ross Hepburn 10.2 [W1] 2
- Russell Walker [L2, UF1] 1
- Louise Bradley [L2]
- "A war of attrition!! Very close games...neither of us shone with the serve...but a great work out. Still to be completed." -- Russell
- "Thanks for the match Jim - very tight games and very enjoyable! " -- Peter
- "Good match, lots of long rallies. Closer than the score suggests" -- Robert
- "Very enjoyable match at Scotstoun. Some nice long rallies and deuce games." -- Gordon
- "Good sporting encounter, score doesn't represent the match" -- Robert
- "First set was very much closer than score suggests taking almost an hour. In the second set Russell demonstrated a strong forehand. Managed to come from behind in the last set to win the tie break.Many thanks for an enjoyable game. We both felt the effects of a long 2 hour game." -- Jim
- "Competitive match in cold conditions." -- Robert
- "A hard fought match, both a little ring...court rusty from the Christmas break. The score doesn't relay the play. I just managed to win the important points. Really enjoyed my first match in the Glasgow League" -- Robert
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Glasgow archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Glasgow.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)