Glasgow Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Glasgow's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Scotstoun Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a Glasgow Club member (see website for details).
Mon - Wed: 7am - 9.45pm
Sat: 9am - 5pm
Indoors £17.90 (There is a ‘walk on rate’; if you arrive 30 minutes before the hour you can get a court for £10.90)
There is a 10% discount for Glasgow Club members on full price courts (discludes walk on rate).
Gorbals Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a member (see site information).
Monday-Friday: 9am - 9pm
Saturday: 9am - 4pm
Peak (Monday-Friday 4pm onwards and weekends 9am-1pm) £17.90
Offpeak: (Monday-Friday 9am-4pm and weekends 2pm onwards) £10
Leisure card members get 10% off peak time courts.
Following a £350,000 upgrade four brand new, floodlit courts were opened in April, 2013.
Mon - Wed: 10am-9pm; Weekends 9am-6pm
Kelvingrove Park Tennis
Six brand new floodlit courts in the city centre. The centre is currently undergoing a major refurbishment.
Currently free to use.
Four brand new floodlit courts.
Mon-Wed 10am-9pm; Thurs-Sun 9am-6pm
Free to use.
Five floodlit courts. The Queens Park Community Tennis Club offer coaching sessions for all ages in the park.
Mon-Fri 11am-9pm; Sat 9.30am-7pm; Sun 12noon-9pm
Singles Round 23 | Thursday 16 July to Wednesday 9 September 2015 (Mid-point: Wednesday 12 August 2015)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Dan Maroni 10 [W4, L1] 9
- Pauline Taylor 7.2 [W3, L1] 9 includes two bonus points
- Awad Alotibe 10.2 [W3, L1] 7
- Blair Edward 10.2 [W2, L3] 6 includes two bonus points
- David Brennan 9.1 [W1, L3] 5 includes two bonus points
- Jonathan Sawyers [L4] 4 includes two bonus points
- "A great match, in every single moment of it. Thank you so much Dani!!" -- Awad
- "Started playing outdoors as the sun had just come out, the court was playing fast due to the rain earlier in the day which took some getting used to and made for some interesting bounces. David never quite got into the flow with his serve hitting several double faults during the set and at one point about 5 'lets'! We did get a few longer rallies in though and when his first serve works its a beast. The second set was played half indoors which was an interesting change of scenery and gave me a second wind to come back from 3-5 down to win. That's 1-1 on aggregate, i look forward to our next meeting!" -- Dan
- "2 and a half hour match. I was 5-3 up in the first set and Awad stepped up and took it 7-5 - this made me more determined in the second set which I won 6-2. Some amazing rallies with loads of net play. The third set was a battle with us both being so tired but I scraped a win in the end. Great match with nearly every game going to deuce. " -- Pauline
- "Great match on slightly slippery/damp hard courts @ Knightswood Park, Jonathan got around the court very well and consistently returned my attempted winners, I don't think I've ever hit that many net chords so luck was definitely with me on this day! Good luck with your other games Jonathan :)" -- Dan
- "Neither of our finest hours tonight. I've seen David play before at Newlands and know how good he is normally. Feels wrong to call it a win when all I did was make less errors. Sorry it was such a poor match David, good luck with the others." -- Blair
- "Jonathan had incredible fitness levels and it was so tough to try and win points off of him. It was a really enjoyable challenge with lots of varying points. Thanks for the game Jonathan. " -- David
- "Great match on a windy (and wet for 10 mins) summers eve, loads of fun, some downright ridiculous rallies, both of us playing some awful tennis at times! I held off 4 set points in the second but Pauline was too strong and consistent so it turned into 3 setter! Looking forward to the next match!" -- Dan
- "Jonathan deserve to win this match as he played a great tennis.
Thank you Jonathan great and kind man " -- Awad
- "Excellent match indoors at Newlands, Blair gets everything back and his speed around the court caught (can i say that?!) me out several times! Thanks for an enjoyable game and good luck with your other games :P" -- Dan
- "Fantastic battle! We had similar styles of play and considering David has only played for a couple of years he was very good. Will enjoy meeting up with him to practise. " -- Pauline
- "Fun, but gruelling match with Jonathan at Kelvingrove. Managed to scramble my way to a tie-break in the second and it seemed fortune was on my side with a couple of net cords going my way and a slip fromJonathan handing me the decisive point. Unfortunately Jonathan suffered a bout of cramp in the decider and despite struggling manfully on was not able to chase down the shots he'd so easily dealt with earlier. Thanks for playing on and good luck with the rest Jonathan." -- Blair
- "Played a friendly match against Blair indoors and Newlands. His fitness is excellent and we had some great rallies- the ball just kept coming back! " -- Pauline
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- Calum MacLennan 8.2 [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Kevin Kelly [W3, L1] 8 includes two bonus points
- Gordon Bain 10.1 [L3] 4 includes two bonus points
- Ivan Rolfe 10.1 [W1, L2] 3
- Matt Maycock 9.2 [W1, L2] 2
- Iain McQuade 9.2
- "another fun game against Kevin, pretty windy and not to easy to follow the ball at times but we got through it :-)" -- Calum
- "Really enjoyed the game with Gordon very even match and had to stop sadly due to time being against us but looking forward to the deciding set" -- Kevin
- "Enjoyed my match with Ivan today one of the longest I've played in the league and we still have a deciding set. Ivan ran away with first set and the second set was a bit of a roller coaster which I just about managed to win, one rally in the middle of the second set felt like it was longer than some of the sets I've played previously! Looking forward to decider next week" -- Kevin
- "Another close match just shy of 3 hrs, still wondering how we both were standing at the end! Some cracking rallies.. thanks again Gordon." -- Ivan
- "really enjoyed playing Gordon, score flatters me as there were lots of close games and great rallys. " -- Calum
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Stewart Campbell 10.2 [W5] 12 includes two bonus points
- Frank Reid 10.2 [W2, L3] 7 includes two bonus points
- Andy Rhattigan 10.2 [W1, L2, UF1] 7 includes two bonus points
- Bryan Mawer [W1, L3] 6 includes two bonus points
- Radoslaw Penar 10.2 [W1, L2, UF1] 4
- Allan Sampson 10.2 [W1, L1] 2
- "The morning at Queens Park didn't start too well as i managed to cut two of my fingers while opening a new set of balls. Luckily the Pavilion was open and the staff provided me with some sticky plasters. Need to be more careful next time! The first set was very close with many games going to deuce but i just edged it 6-4. During the second set Radoslaw picked up a few knocks which affected his mobility but battled on bravely to finish the set, thanks for the match Radoslaw. " -- Stewart
- "Match played on a sunny but breezy morning at Kelvingrove. Have to say neither of us played with any real consistency, so match was a bit scrappy but quite close nonetheless with myself having to fight back from 2-5 in the first and 0-3 in the 2nd set. Hopefully Frank we can have a better match next time." -- Stewart
- "Topsy turvy match played at Kelvingrove. I was leading 2-0 first set before Andy won 6 straight games to win the set. Then i won 6 straight games to win the second set. Third set was more even which i eventually won 6-3, phew! Thanks for the match Andy." -- Stewart
- "After a straightforward first set Bryan raced to a 4-0 lead in the second as I had no answer to his cross court forehand. I dug deep to level the set at 4-4 with many deuce games but Bryan regained his composure, eventually winning 7-5 to level the match. We ran out of time after 2 hours play with the score at 3-2 in the final set. " -- Stewart
- "Completed the third set at a blustery Kelvingrove, thanks for the match Bryan" -- Stewart
- "Allan raced to a 3-0 lead in the first set but i was soon on level terms and eventually edged the set 6-4. The first set was interrupted briefly by a rain shower but during the second set the heavens opened and the heavy rain flooded the courts which meant we had to abandon the game. All to play for when we resume the match next week............" -- Stewart
- "After an unscheduled tour of Hamilton's finest tennis courts, I finally found Allan's club to finish our match. Allan fought hard to take the second set to a tie-break but I just managed to hold on to prevent a third set. Thanks for the match Allan." --
- "Tight match; lots of service breaks both ways; Radoslaw developing a great sliced serve that is pretty hard to anticipate." -- Frank
- "Lovely evening match on the relatively new courts at Knightswood; Fairly even/close match, with Andy hitting a number of clean passing shots, and consistently returning everything, thus took me all the way. " -- Frank
- "Bryan is a good player, lost to him last year so I am pretty happy with the result. We had some long decent rallies and quite a few deuce games. I think that serve was the key today, and the luck was on my side:) Bryan, good luck with the rest of your matches" -- Radoslaw
- "Nice to get my first match played, glad rain stayed off. Really tight game as the scoreline suggests (with two tie breaks!). Very much enjoyed the match with Bryan, and look forward to playing more games soon." -- Andy
- "A gentlemen on the court, Frank battled back superbly to take the second set. I had no answer to his net play. Won the third as we had both ran out of steam. Best wishes to Frank" -- Bryan
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- Neil Stephen 10.2 [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- William Heenan 10.1 [W3, L2] 8 includes two bonus points
- Michael Spafford 10.1 [W3, L1] 8 includes two bonus points
- Evgenia Balashova [W2, L1] 7 includes two bonus points
- Judy Lockhart 10.2 [L3] 3 includes two bonus points
- Pearce Stewart 10.1 [L1] 1 withdrawn
- Remi Follet 10.2 [L3] 1
- "I didn't really feel like I was playing tennis here. More like surviving tennis. The court and conditions were tough to play in despite it being dry and sunny. Blindingly sunny! I'm not that impressed with the courts at Kelvingrove. Maybe it just takes time to get used to them but the bounce was inconsistent and the courts were slippery due to all the sand. It meant I was just trying to play a very safe game which wasn't that enjoyable for either of us I'm guessing. Remi was struggling too but there was still a huge number of winners that went flying by when he found his range. It ended up being a really bitty sort of match. Maybe next time we can have a better matchup. Good luck with your next match Remi (seriously, it would help me out too ;-)" -- Michael
- "Thankfully the weather stayed dry for us at Knightswood, which was a relief. A tospy turvy match, but I was able to squeak through in the end. Thanks Judy for an enjoyable morning. " -- Neil
- "I will never forget this match. One of the best I've played in. It was loads of fun and a great matchup. I think Eve brings out the best in my game. The match ebbed and flowed continually. It felt like every point was crucial. There was really nothing separating us except one or two points. It probably took over 3 hrs to complete and I loved every minute of it. I hope I get to play Eve again in a future matchup." --
- "Thanks to William for hosting me at Virgin Active Milngavie. Enjoyable match as always, Neil" -- Neil
- "I thoroughly enjoyed my time on court with Judy. It may not be like some of those I'll die before I lose matchups from the past but it's exactly the sort of match I'm looking for just now. My ailing wrist is thankful for any match it gets through in one piece and this perfectly suited that. It's also great to see more female faces playing in the league. I'd be more than happy to play Judy again if our paths cross again in the future." -- Michael
- "A 2 1/2 hour match at Scotstoun. A very long game in the second set, with an unbelievable amount of deuces. Good fun but we were both tired at the end" -- Neil
SINGLES | GROUP 5
- Brian Thoirs 10.2 [W3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Phil Connor 10.2 [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- Gavin Lundholm 9.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Alice Clarke 10.2 [L1] 1 withdrawn
- Craig Stewart 10.2 [L1]
- Rosi O'Neill 10.2 withdrawn
- "The first set was tight and just one break of serve was exchanged half way through. I squandered a set point on Phil's serve at 5-6 30-40 and as he served from 2-3 in the breaker I spent the next five points wrapping the set up in a bow and giving it to him, including a horrible missed forehand on his first set point.
Didn't want the same to happen in the second so I went for things a little more. When it went to one set each I knew he'd go for more too and no one held serve in the first four games of the third but I had a bit more rhythm and got the momentum when I held and broke for 4-2.
Phil gets everything back and this was a closely fought, highly enjoyable match with a lot of variety (thanks Phil for making it so...); he actually gets more points for it than I do too!" -- Gavin
- "Windy and wet night. Game was closer than score suggests." -- Brian
- "Nice Day, nice club a good runaround" -- Brian
SINGLES | GROUP 6
- Ed Wright 10.2 [W2] 4
- Neil Crossan 10.2 [W2] 4
- Jakub Czarnik 10.2 [W1, L2] 3
- Jim Howie 10.2 [L3] 1
- Euan Wilson
- James Sloan 10.2
- "Lovely game. I was a bit lucky as Jakub has been having problems with his wrist " -- Neil
- "A great game played in the blazing sunshine! The scoreline flatters me. We both struggled with the heat a little. Jakub has some amazing cross court shots. My serve was much better in this match. A pleasure to meet and play Jakub." -- Ed
- "Beautiful sunny day good company really enjoyable tennis. " -- Neil
- "This was a very closely contested match. Both of us struggled with our serves in the first set and we lost more service matches than we won and it eventually came down to a tiebreak. As you can see from the score it was close again with neither player going more than two points ahead throughout.
The second set started very well for Jim as he went 3-0 up but my serve started to improve and I was lucky enough win the next six games in a row. The final game was excellent, going to deuce four times." -- Ed
- "As always,pleasure to play against Jim,very competitive match" -- Jakub
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Glasgow archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Glasgow.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)