Glasgow Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Glasgow's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Scotstoun Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a Glasgow Club member (see website for details).
Mon - Wed: 7am - 9.45pm
Sat: 9am - 5pm
Indoors £17.90 (There is a ‘walk on rate’; if you arrive 30 minutes before the hour you can get a court for £10.90)
There is a 10% discount for Glasgow Club members on full price courts (discludes walk on rate).
Gorbals Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a member (see site information).
Monday-Friday: 9am - 9pm
Saturday: 9am - 4pm
Peak (Monday-Friday 4pm onwards and weekends 9am-1pm) £17.90
Offpeak: (Monday-Friday 9am-4pm and weekends 2pm onwards) £10
Leisure card members get 10% off peak time courts.
Following a £350,000 upgrade four brand new, floodlit courts were opened in April, 2013.
Mon - Wed: 10am-9pm; Weekends 9am-6pm
Kelvingrove Park Tennis
Six brand new floodlit courts in the city centre. The centre is currently undergoing a major refurbishment.
Currently free to use.
Four brand new floodlit courts.
Mon-Wed 10am-9pm; Thurs-Sun 9am-6pm
Free to use.
Five floodlit courts. The Queens Park Community Tennis Club offer coaching sessions for all ages in the park.
Mon-Fri 11am-9pm; Sat 9.30am-7pm; Sun 12noon-9pm
Singles Round 24 | Thursday 1 October to Wednesday 25 November 2015 (Mid-point: Wednesday 28 October 2015)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Keith Fowler 8.1 [W5] 12 includes two bonus points
- Jack Bray [W2, L2] 7 includes two bonus points
- David Baird [W2, L2] 6 includes two bonus points
- Jonathan Sawyers [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- Blair Edward 9.2 [W1, L4] 5 includes two bonus points
- David Gerber [W1, L2] 3
- Awad Alotibe 9.2 [W1, L1] 2
- "Great match, Awad woke up in the second and was unlucky not to force a third set. A really good fight. Good luck in your remaining matches Awad, hope to see you on court again soon!" -- Keith
- "Good match, a good fight in the second set! Good luck going forward David." -- Keith
- "Bit of a crazy 2+ hour marathon. David totally dominated in the first with great serving and lovely placement of his ground strokes. I'm not sure either of us know how I ended up winning the second as it really didn't look like happening at most stages. I think David may even have had a match point somewhere along the way. The match ended in a suitably ridiculous fashion with a framed return into orbit coming down about a foot over the net and David's smash bouncing neatly off my raquet into open court. Thanks for a fun match David." -- Blair
- "Great match. Could have gone either way. " -- David
- "Wind was a bit of a factor tonight but good fun match anyway. Good luck for the rest of the competition David!" -- Keith
- "A little slippery out there but a good match all the same. Great fight at the end of the second, unlucky not to get to a tiebreak or even a 3rd set! Good luck Jack for your remaining matches." -- Keith
- "A lot of long points in this match, it was closer than the score suggests. Blair didn't have his best day today, though I know he's a tricky opponent as he won our last encounter. I hope he can find his best form again soon. Good luck for your remaining matches Blair." -- Jonathan
- "Thanks for the game under the lights. All the best for your remaining fixtures. " -- David
- "Good game, good luck in your next matches Blair." -- Keith
- "A two and a half hour classic was separated by the narrowest of margins. Played in a good spirit.
" -- David
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- James Foley 9.1 [W5, L1] 13 includes two bonus points
- Stewart Campbell 9.2 [W4, L2] 11 includes two bonus points
- Calum MacLennan 8.2 [W2, L2] 4
- Danny Cameron [W1, L2] 3
- Kevin Kelly [W1, L1] 2 withdrawn
- Suhel Alkesair 9.2 [W1, L2] 2
- Mark Latham [L1] withdrawn
- Ivan Rolfe 10.1 [L3] withdrawn
- "Wow! Nip and tuck all the way, very close match from start to finish. Could have gone either way, maybe i had less unforced errors than Danny which swung it my way. Not sure i had enough energy for a third set! Thanks for inviting me to your club Danny and best of luck in your remaining matches." -- Stewart
- "The match could have gone either way - there was nothing in it. Calum's serve was formidable and a real challenge to return against. The match was played in good spirits throughout" -- James
- "Close first set with just the one break Ivan was struggling with an injury in second set. Enjoyed playing Ivan again hope the injury gets better and good luck with the rest of the games." -- Kevin
- "Kevin was a bit rusty during the first set having not played since the last round, however he challenged me all the way during the second set, but i managed to edge it on a tie break. Match was played indoors at Gorbals due to the weather so thanks again Kevin and best of luck in your remaining matches." -- Stewart
- "However, there was absolutely nothing in it - the match could have gone either way. Stuart's mobility, defensive play, shot placement, volleying and lobbying were excellent. As I result I had to switch up tactics in the second set and come into the net as Stuart's fitness at the baseline would otherwise have beaten me. A terrific, close match played in good spirits throughout" -- James
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Graham Mackenzie 9.1 [W7] 16 includes two bonus points
- Neil Dickson 10.2 [W5, L2] 12 includes two bonus points
- Boris Wrabel [W5, L1] 10
- Andy Rhattigan 10.2 [W3, L3] 9 includes two bonus points
- Kieran Docherty [W3, L4] 8 includes two bonus points
- Frank Reid 10.1 [W1, L6] 6 includes two bonus points
- Neil Stephen 9.2 [W1, L3] 3
- Derek Morgan [L6] 2 includes two bonus points
- "Thanks for the game Derek!" -- Graham
- "Thanks for the game Derek. Close tight first set that Derek got himself in front, but I eventually managed to win through. Thereafter the game opened up and the second set flew by." -- Frank
- "Close second set. Could have swung the other way at 2-2! Good luck with the following matches Neil!" -- Graham
- "Good match, thanks Neil" -- Boris
- "Good match against Neil with some good rallies at Gorbals." -- Graham
- "Enjoyed the match against Boris at the Gorbals Centre. " -- Graham
- "Excellent, competitive 3 setter with Neil. I had to overcome some aggressive netplay from Neil, but managed to edge the match at the business end of the 3rd set. I hope to play Neil again sometime soon !" -- Kieran
- "Good game against Andy on a cold, foggy morning in Knightswood. Glad to edge in the end." -- Graham
- "Good match against Kieran at The Western, Hyndland on a fantastic autumn evening. Perfect conditions (apart from the sun!) Close games throughout and glad I overcame a bad fall 2 games into the match. Great club with great courts. Thanks Kieran! " -- Graham
- "Nice to get a game with Frank in Scotstoun. Closer than the score was!" -- Graham
- "Thanks to Frank for making the trip over to my club. An enjoyable game with a close first set and an easier second set for me! Stayed on and played a third set aswell, so it was a good work out for both of us. Look forward to playing Frank again at some point, and hope he manages to get playing more and get the improvement that should bring!" -- Kieran
- "I really enjoyed the game with Kieran.
A very good workout, and a hard fought game with many lengthy rallies, obviously very close (result could easily have been reversed) and i was chuffed to come out narrowly on top.
Thanks to Kieran for coming to my 'home' (albeit public) courts. The surface was new to Kieran, doubtless this was to my advantage.
Hope you enjoy the games ahead, and look forward to playing again at some point" -- Andy
- "First match in the leagues for both Derek and I, so both a bit unsure of what to expect standard wise. I think Derek was a bit more ring rusty than me and I was able to win in 2 sets. Thanks to Derek for coming to my club to play and hopefully he gets plenty of match practice in the leagues and gets in more of those big first serves in his upcoming games!" -- Kieran
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- Graham Wilson 9.1 [W5, L1] 10
- Brian Thoirs 10.1 [W3, L1] 7
- Bryan Mawer [W1, L2] 3
- Michael Spafford 10.1 [W1, L2] 3
- Heather Mckirdy 10.2 [L1] withdrawn
- William Heenan 10.1 [L1]
- Brian Polding-Clyde 10.1 [L2]
- "Better match than the score suggests. I had a couple of wobbles in the middle of each set and Brian almost capitalised on them. Some good rallies and net exchanges. Look forward to playing Brian again in future." -- Graham
- "Tough match. Could have gone either way. I don't think either of us played our best but it didn't stop it being a lot of fun. Probably most of the rallies were not that long but there were still some very enjoyable ones. A good mix of slices, ground strokes, drop shots, lobs, aces, a lot of running, few lucky net cords and a lot of balls landing frustratingly/brilliantly on the line. It had a bit of everything really. Hopefully get to play Brian again some time, preferably in warmer conditions. It was freezing in the Gorbals indoor courts." -- Michael
- "Enjoyed this game ,hard work though. A lot of deuces." -- Brian
- "Great resolve and composure by Michael to win the 2nd set considering he was 4-5 down on resumption of this unfinished match and then 1-4 down in the tiebreak. I managed to regroup and kept the pressure up this time to take the decider 6-2. Hope to play Michael again in the future, good luck in your remaining matches." -- Graham
- "Brian was a bit rusty as he has not played in a while " -- Brian
- "Kudos to Bryan for agreeing to finish the match outdoors and at my club. We played the first two sets indoors at Scotstoun. So the see saw nature of the match continued. Bryan served well I returned well and made fewer errors and was very relaxed at my home venue. Best of luck to Bryan in the rest of his matches." -- Graham
- "A much trickier match than the scoreline suggests. Lots of deuce games and Heather had several game points and break points. This was Heather's first match in the League and nerves were definitely a big factor. Played at my club and home advantage helped. I'm convinced Heather will do better score-wise in her remaining matches. " -- Graham
- "A tight match. Luckily I got off to a good start in each set. William came back strongly both times and perhaps had the momentum with a love hold to make it 5 all. In the final game I managed to just nick it with a couple of volleys. William is a true gent and the match was played in a great spirit with lots of chat at the changeovers. Best of luck to William in his remaining ties." -- Graham
- "I commiserated Michael today, as he knows he wasn't beaten by a better player. Some great forehand line shots and a real aggressive thinker of winning passes. Great guy, enjoyed the match and best wishes. " -- Bryan
SINGLES | GROUP 5
- Addison Graham 10 [W4] 8
- Ed Wright 10.2 [W2, L1, UF1] 5
- Fotios Stavropoulos 10.2 [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- Neil Crossan 10.2 [W1, L1, UF1] 3
- Remi Follet 10.2 [W1] 2 withdrawn
- Benjamin Cornelius 10.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Gordon Craig 10.2 [L5]
- "Always a pleasure playing Ed. Really nice guy and ( after 2 two hour sessions) and at the risk of being physically thrown out of the Gorbals Tennis centre Ed and I (with an eye on the time constraints ) decided that an honourable draw should be declared.
The match ebbed and flowed in 3 game bursts. The first session ( Saturday) was marked by two players playing well.... last night was two players not playing so well... but was just as exciting despite this. I certainly hope to get drawn with Ed again as it is always a pleasure playing him." -- Neil
- "A good Match that we enjoyed playing on the outdoor courts at Kelvingrove!" -- Addison
- "Thoroughly enjoyable game of Tennis!" -- Addison
- "The match was played in good condition at kelvingrove. The match was thouroughly enjoyable with great sportsmanship. " -- Addison
- "Very enjoyable game. We thought the conditions wouldn't be great as it had been raining but the Kelvingrove courts were not as slippery as expected. We had some really great, close, long games with quite a few going to 3, 4, or even 5 deuces! A pleasure to meet and play Craig. " -- Ed
- "Very fun game with a very nice guy. " -- Benjamin
- "A really enjoyable, competitive match. Fotis and I were at a very equal level and given that he had not played in over a year and I suspect the next time we play the outcome might be different! We both had peaks a troughs, Fotis started the 1st set really well and dominated the second set but my game improved in the 2nd half of the 1st set and I actually managed to get a few 1st serves in, in the 3rd set. Great to meet Fotis and thoroughly enjoyed the match. " -- Ed
- "Really enjoyable tennis match. Amazing to think that Gordon has only been playing for less than a year. He started like a train and I had to work very hard to get back into it. Great afternoons entertainment and Gordon is a really nice guy as well as a talented musician.
" -- Neil
SINGLES | GROUP 6
- Cameron Sim [W4, L1] 11 includes two bonus points
- Craig Stewart 10.2 [W3, L2] 7
- Ross Hepburn 10.2 [W3, L2] 6
- Peter Rough [W3, L2] 6
- Euan Callus 10.2 [W2, L3] 5
- Louise Bradley [L5] 2 includes two bonus points
- Annabel Davies withdrawn
- "Great match! Long rallies and both of us hitting some good shots. I hope to play you again soon thanks again and good luck in the rest of your games!" -- Cameron
- "Good match. First set was tight up until a break at 3-3, most games going to deuce, with me just shading it in the end. Euan had a spot of bother with his serve in the 2nd set, which corresponded with my serve starting to find its mark, hence the one sided second set score, even though there were a few good rallies." -- Craig
- "Good game of tennis with peter, we were both hitting the ball very well, hope to have a game again with you soon and hope it's not as windy and rainy as it was tonight thanks again Cameron." -- Cameron
- "Great game, long rallies and great tennis club and both us played well. Thanks for the game again Craig. " -- Cameron
- "Brilliant fun, lots of deuce games and long rallies." -- Euan
- "Thanks Louise for a fun match at Knightswood - nice hard court action! Score doesn't show how well you played. Cheers!" -- Euan
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Glasgow archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Glasgow.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)